What Happened In The 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami
In indonesia s aceh province on the island of sumatra about 170 000 people were killed by the massive ocean waves.
What happened in the 2004 indian ocean tsunami. The 2004 indian ocean earthquake and tsunami also called the sumatra andaman earthquake known by the scientific community was a great underwater earthquake it happened at 00 58 53 utc 07 58 53 local time december 26 2004. Rebuilding lives salvaging communities. Indian ocean tsunami 2004. It is a very sad day.
The wave took my family. Days after the 2004 indian ocean tsunami a man in banda aceh indonesia scavenged the rubble for usable items. The 2004 indian ocean earthquake and tsunami also known as the boxing day tsunami and by the scientific community the sumatra andaman earthquake occurred at 07 58 53 in local time on 26 december with an epicentre off the west coast of northern sumatra indonesia it was an undersea megathrust earthquake that registered a magnitude of 9 1 9 3 m w reaching a mercalli intensity up to ix. An aerial view of marina beach after a tsunami triggered by an earthquake in the indian ocean hit the area in the southern indian city of madras on december 26 2004.
Both of those quakes also produced killer tsunamis in the pacific ocean basin. Two thirds of the capital city malé was flooded during the first hours of the day. Outlying low level atolls were badly affected and some low lying. In the maldives all islands except for 9 were hit by the 2004 indian ocean tsunami.
Altogether an estimated 230 000 to 260 000 people died in the 2004 indian ocean earthquake and tsunami. The epicenter of the earthquake was off the west coast of sumatra indonesia at first the earthquake was measured as a 9 0 on the richter scale. 82 people were killed and 24 reported missing and presumed dead after it was hit by a tsunami caused by the 2004 indian ocean earthquake on 26 december 2004. After the 2004 tsunami.
The quake itself was third most powerful since 1900 exceeded only by the great chilean earthquake of 1960 magnitude 9 5 and the 1964 good friday earthquake in prince william sound alaska magnitude 9 2. The indian ocean tsunami came ashore in these places that had no natural warning either because they were far enough away that they didn t feel any of the earthquake says borrero. Indian ocean tsunami of 2004 tsunami that hit the coasts of several countries of south and southeast asia in december 2004. I can never forget what happened.
The tsunami affected a dozen nations in the region with indonesia the worst affected.
- What Happened In Syria
- What Happened In Singapore From 1945 To 1959
- What Happened In Singapore Coronavirus
- What Happened In September 11 2001
- What Happened In The Year 1960
- What Happened In The Chernobyl Disaster
- What Happened In Spain Today
- What Happened In The Year 1010
- What Happened In United States V Cruikshank
- What Happened In The Year 1920 Uk
- What Happened In Syria In 2011
- What Happened In September 1939
- What Happened In September 1940 Ww2
- What Happened In The Year 1920
- What Happened In The American Revolution
- What Happened In The 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami
- What Happened In Syria Yesterday
- What Happened In The Year 1990 In The Us
- What Happened In Uk
- What Happened In September 11th 2001