Khmer New Year This Year
The calendar they follow is deeply steeped in their buddhist religious traditions.
Khmer new year this year. Cambodians also use buddhist era to count the year based on the buddhist calendar. Khmer new year also known as cambodian new year is usually a three day public holiday in cambodia. In khmer it is called. In an effort to halt covid 19 infections in the kingdom prime minister hun sen has postponed the khmer new year holidays scheduled from april 13 to 16.
The new dates will be announced later in the year. While the people will not have their usual break nor will there be any public celebrations or gatherings at pagodas the people can still celebrate within their families. The khmer new year is also a chance to reflect on deceased loved ones. April represents a rare break from the hard work since it s the hottest and driest month of the year making it all but impossible to work for long in the fields.
Looking at the way people honor death in different cultures is a window into distant corners of the globe. It is called khmer new year because khmer are the dominant ethnic group within the nation. The khmer new year coincides with the traditional solar new year in several parts of india bangladesh nepal sri lanka myanmar laos and thailand. The khmer new year marks the end of the traditional harvest season a time of leisure for farmers who have toiled all year to plant and harvest rice.
Among other countries who celebrate the new year in. Khmer new year 2020. The khmer new year public holidays scheduled from april 13th to 16th 2020 have been postponed due to the covid 19 pandemic. Khmer new year is widely celebrated in cambodia.
Ninety five percent of cambodia s 15 million people follow theravada buddhism which is also the official religion. Each year khmer new year is the most anticipated holidays for cambodian. When is khmer new year. It is symbolic for switching to the new year with a new beginning.
The cambodian new year is always. 95 of khmer population are farmers and the period from november through march is the busiest season for khmer farmers to reap or harvest the crops from. In this guide we ll dive deep into the cambodian new year to explore its dates and traditions.
- What Happened In Jonestown 40 Years Ago
- What Happened In Kashmir In 1947
- What Happened In Kerala Elephant In Hindi
- What Happened In Korea In 1988
- What Happened In Jonestown Reddit
- What Happened In Kashmir In 1989
- What Happened In July 2020
- What Happened In Indianapolis Indiana Last Night
- What Happened In Kashmir Recently
- What Happened In India China Border Dispute
- What Happened In January 2020 Uk
- What Happened In Hong Kong 2020
- What Happened In Japanese Internment Camps Canada
- What Happened In Indonesia 1883
- What Happened In July 1941
- What Happened In Kashmiri Language
- What Happened In Killing Eve Season 2
- What Happened In Jerusalem In 70 Ce
- What Happened In January 2020 So Far
- What Happened In July 1941 In The Pacific