How Does A Bike Work
I take an old freewheel apart and show you the parts that are inside and talk about how it works.
How does a bike work. How stuff works with 3d animation and excellent voice over. A bicycle works with rotating rubber wheels drive chains and gears driven by pedals for speed brakes to slow and handlebars to steer. What s the difference between a standard semi compact and compact chainset. And if you ride regularly enough it provides an easy on the body form of exercise.
See more bicycle pictures. What gearing did lance armstr. How stuff works how devices work video series covers the following topics. They have compact electric motors built into the hub of the back or front wheel or mounted in the center of the bike and connected to the pedal sprocket.
For a racing bike traveling fast about 80 percent of the work the cyclist does will go in overcoming air resistance while the remainder will be used to battle rolling resistance. Ever wondered how bike gears and gear ratios work. There are no covers or sheet metal hiding any of the working parts that propel you down the road on a bicycle it is all out in the open. Light up your bike for safe riding another neat thing about bicycles for anyone interested in machines and mechanics is that everything is completely exposed.
Here s a picture of a typical bicycle. A huge thanks to wren weichman wrenthereaper for helping with the 3d bike animation michael aranda for drone photography pavel for dowsing and melissa for helping crash bikes. For a mountain biker going much more slowly over rough terrain 80 percent of their energy goes in rolling resistance and only 20 percent is lost to drag. In order to talk about bicycles it s good to start by naming all of the parts.
A bicycle can take you as far as you want to go all without wasting a dime on fossil fuels. The freewheel is a 6 speed shimano but they all pretty much the same. Bicycles were first introduced in 19th century europe. Bicycles exploit the raw power in your muscles kinetic energy to move the bicycle forward.
Take a look at the hub of an electric bike and probably you ll see it s much fatter and bulkier than on a normal bike. The pedals generate the power and accelerate the bicycle forward by turning the wheels. The bicycle wheel also has spokes to distribute the forces of movement evenly around its center or hub.
- Best Garmin Bike Computer
- Best Hardtail Mountain Bike 2020 Australia
- Best Hardtail Mountain Bike Under 500
- Best Folding Electric Bikes Uk 2020
- Best First Bike For 3 Year Old
- Best Exercise Bikes For Home
- Best Fat Tire Electric Bike Under 1500
- Best Hardtail Mountain Bike 2020 Canada
- Best Folding Exercise Bikes
- Best Flat Pedal Mountain Bike Shoes 2020
- Best Gravel Bikes Under 500
- Best Gravel Bike Shoes For Wide Feet
- Best Exercise Bikes Under 300
- Best Front Bike Basket
- Best Gravel Bikes Under 1000 Canada
- Best Folding Bike For Touring 2019
- Best Folding Electric Bike Uk
- Best Font For Bike Number Plate
- Best Folding Exercise Bike
- Best Gravel Bikes Under 1000 Uk